... a bit Suffolk
|th 21 Nov|
What's now flats on the corner of Crown and Anchor Alley and Fore Street Framlingham was a brewery. Brewer and elder George Brooke Kerr declared bankruptcy in February 1832. This card shows George owned a surprising amount of property and two roads have since changed their name.
|tu 10 Sep|
John Bridges sent us a pic of the wooden building in Fore Street Framlingham which was the Christian Science reading room for at least two decades. John's pic shows in the early 1960s it was harness maker Kenny Howard's workshop.
|tu 1 May|
May 1962 The Regal Framlingham's cinema (it was in New Road) was showing films you've never heard of except possibly A Taste of Honey which surprisingly was certificate X ... well it is about an inter-racial under age pregnancy and gay friend so maybe not so surprising. Intriguingly The Elms Drug Stores in Bridge Street sold handbags and was a corn chandler ...
|th 1 Dec|
In 1935 AG Potter Framlingham received an invoice for threshing, in 1910 the Aldeburgh golf clubhouse caught fire, we don't know where licenced grocer John Allen had his shop and our favourite is this little girl in her sturdy boots.
|su 3 Apr|
Thursday's Film @ Fram in the Framlingham Con Club is The Lady in the Van. The Regal in 1962 (it was down New Road) showed fourteen films most of which we hadn't heard of. Three digit phone numbers, three prices of admission (10p to 17.5p) and interesting ads; camera and another shoe shop in Well Close Square, a pay library on the Market Hill plus somewhere in Fram The Castle Espresso Lounge. (Thanks to Jane Bloom.)
|sa 23 Jan|
Harriers on the Market Hill Framlingham before what's now Country Vision got the mock Tudor half timbering. Not unreasonable to assume it's the Easton Harriers. We've fiddled with the image and we can see HARRIERS in the annotation but don't think it's EASTON ... it might be HAMILTON and once upon a time Lord and Lady Hamilton pretty much owned Easton ...
|fr 14 Aug|
When Bridge Street Framlingham had a police station and Earl Soham had a shop opposite the green, a charming CF Dowsing wedding party, and a LNER organised Colchester-Woodbridge-Halesworth half day out.
|th 15 Mar|
Not sure where this turn of last century is in Earl Soham, that lane behind the shop on the bend? But Mrs Bridges thinks this is probably the 1905 five house fire in Fore Street Framlingham.
|mo 3 Oct|
Brandeston, a horse and trap at the Framlingham Station and Marlesford railway station on post cards.
|th 24 Feb|
This postcard of the market on Framlingham's Market Hill was produced by 'Gala Crafts, Coffee Shop and Licenced Bistro'. Why they left out 'and surrounding villages' is a bit of mystery as is why they couldn't spell. They were in Church Street where presumably the curtains have since changed. 1980s?
|mo 17 Jan|
Taken April 6th 1953 (the Coronation year) in St Michael's Framlingham this pic shows canon (father to Bill and formerly rector) Martin Bulstrode with to his left the tall John Clack and in a cap Charlie Garlick. Both men have bandaged hands from an explosion at the Albert Road gas holder which was by the chip shop. Regrettably, as it was his sister's wedding, John Clack's face was burnt on his left side as well. Another local person is the young and hatless Neville Smith in the centre. Thanks Jane and a pic of Martin Bulstrode in 1950.
previously historic • email us • advertise
advertise • get the digest • email us • buy us a coffee • Framlingham • earlier Framlingham • previously historic • Fram on postcards • loco and Lanman
Text: 07970 865730
Pester: 01728 723306